Bachelor of Philosophy with Ethics (BoPE)
The aim of the programme is to provide a good opportunity, facilities and environment to the student studying philosophy with Ethics for the public service, private service as well as personal transformation. The programme will give the student an opportunity to study among other things, the origin of Philosophy, the different Philosophical schools of thought, the major themes, issues and concepts addressed by Philosophy, key philosophers throughout the centuries, the contribution of Philosophy in human life and progress, issues of societal organisation, moral or ethical, political, human rights and development issues, and issues related to human dignity and respect, duty and responsibility (professionalism), human knowledge and science, our origin and destiny, God and the universe, etc.
- Intellectual skills
- Communication Skills
- Persuasive Powers
- Organizational skills
Bachelor of Philosophy with Ethics (BoPE)
The Human person by nature seeks knowledge in order to find out the truth. Indeed, the desire to know the highest truth makes us restless and “we cannot rest until we know the truth.” Through seeking true knowledge, human person wants to improve their status of life. Since the beginning of human civilization, there have been different schools of thought that have impacted on human life and progress.
Philosophy with Ethics is the major intellectual discipline that has helped humanity to progress through the search of true knowledge. Philosophy with Ethics has shaped the totality of human life and in particular way, their thinking, scientific progress, moral adherence and technological advancement. It is an undeniable fact that Philosophy with Ethics is at the foundation of scientific evolution and development, human progress and organisation, understanding of the universe and all there is and understanding of reality in the highest and most comprehensive way.
Philosophy with Ethics can rightly be referred to as the source of all authentic human knowledge. Thanks to its methodology, orientation and goal, Philosophy is able to arrive at the ultimate reasons, causes and principles regarding reality. There is no subject whatsoever or anything at all that escapes Philosophical investigation. It is in this light that we want to continue doing Philosophy for we recognize that human beings have come a long way in acquiring knowledge and progress through Philosophy and we know that it will propel us even to reaching the highest levels of knowledge possible for human person.1. Intellectual skills
Intellectual formation is one of the fundamental aspect in philosophy with ethical whereby a student is not only transformation to a wide range of understand existential reality but also who he or she can incorporate his or her ideas with the ethical principles which aim at fostering co-existence with the Other but at the same time allow the ability to live with others locally and internationally. Philosophy with Ethics does not land on one towards static analysis rather one has to develop the pragmatic mind which allows one to understand his or her existential situation and how he or she can actualize different possibilities with realistic and innovative mind.2. Communication Skills
Philosophy with ethics also contributes uniquely to the development of expressive and communicative powers. It provides some of the basic tools of self-expression. It helps one to express what is distinctive about one’s view; enhances one’s ability to explain difficult material; and helps one to eliminate ambiguities and vagueness from one’s writing and speech. Communicative skills are very important as one works as humanitarian, legal advisor, public policy analyst, public relation officer and local or civil servant administrator. Our communication has to be inclusive and respects the other, otherness which cannot be totalized.3. Persuasive Powers
Philosophy with Ethics provides training in the construction of clear formulations, good arguments, and apt examples. It thereby helps one develop the ability to be convincing. One learns to build and defend one’s own views, to appreciate competing positions, and to indicate forcefully why one considers one’s own views preferable to alternatives. The world of today needs one to have a convincing power which is one of the element as one become a marketing professional or CEO. Development of persuasive power is not through mean ground, it requires knowledge, understanding, competence and innovative thinking with progressively is developed through pursuing philosophical and ethical knowledge.4. Organizational skills
We live in the world of inter-dependence whereby the “I” and the “Other” have to co-exist. The ontological phenomena is unescapable reality which every Dasein (human person) has to embrace in life. The study of philosophy with ethics, build one to understand that he or she has to actualize his or her living in co-existence with the others. Organizational skills guide one who to become competitive in undertaking the responsibility of administrative as well as management. Also ability to work with initiative and critical self-analysis of what one does and with the help of ethical principle who has to be responsible and accountable based on everything, that one does in his or her daily service to an organisation, institution, company, society, community and nation at large.5. Inter-personal skills
Philosophy with ethics is grounded on the applicability of social science and humanities fields. The study allows one to be formed towards the ability to work with other (team work formation) which is one of the central aspect in our global world whereby, it is not about me and myself, rather it is about me and other. One has to be able to work with people from different ethnic groups, nationality and above understanding the phenomenon of unity and diversity which has to be taken as enrichment rather than a threat.
Mission and Vision of the Programme
The mission of the University is “to produce professionally competent, innovative, and committed graduates who are grounded on professional excellence and moral integrity for provision of quality services to Tanzanian and the global community.” Philosophy with Ethics based its unity and diversity, it enhance the actualization of the University Mission since it sharpen the students towards critical thinking and ethical formation. Moreover, the study of philosophy with ethics prepares the students in developing skills, competence and innovative mind which enrich not only the national and regional services but also for the international amenities.
Project Tittle: Active Citizenship and Gender Equality through International Teacher Education (CIGETE)
Project number; NOTED-2019/10022
Fields of education and training
- Educational sciences, pedagogy and didactics (207)
- Gender studies (215)
- Cultural sciences (103)
Possible Careers for a student with BA in Philosophy with Ethics
Carriers for a graduate in Philosophy with Ethics is both locally and internally. Hence, it is important for student to prepare oneself for working anywhere as long as the opportunities arises. At the end of the course of Philosophy with Ethics, the following are the expected careers:
- 1. The study of Philosophy with Ethics equipped one to have the deep knowledge on understanding and carrying out the humanitarian services to the society, community, humanitarian’s centres like the refugees centres, hence one can work as “Humanitarian Worker” or “Aid Worker”.
- 2. The study of Philosophy with Ethics made one to have skills for professional work and evaluation on politics, administration, governance, human rights, and ethical conducts in legal institutions hence one can be a “Civil Service Administrator” or “Public Servant Administrator”.
- 3. Philosophy with Ethics equipped one with the knowledge and spirit of human caring, ethical grounds on charity works and services, hence one can work on the position of a “Charitable Administrator” in an institution or an organization.
- 4. Philosophy with Ethics, prepares on to have a logical mind in analysing, evaluating and researching on the political affairs locally and internationally, hence one can embrace a career as a “Political Analyst”.
- 5. Ethical conduct, transparency and accountability is one of the most adequate needs in government and private sectors, Philosophy with Ethics prepares an individual through its formation to have a person who will supervise and facilitate the articulation, reasoning and ethical responsibility; hence one may work as an “Ethical Supervise Administrator”.
- 6. Philosophy and Ethics prepares a “Professional Teachers, Tutors and Lectures” who are highly demanded in government and private education institutions for primary, secondary and tertiary education levels to provide ethical or moral teachings as the major aspect towards provision of holistic education.
- 7. Rules, policies and regulations in education institutions which links the administration and student boards, requires a person with holistic understanding of reality, hence this position can be well articulated with some having knowledge of Philosophy with Ethics who can work at the position of either “Dean of Student”, “Warden”, “Patron or Matron” in colleges and secondary schools.
- 8. Philosophy with Ethics provides one with the knowledge which enables to have logical analysis skills hence prepares one to function as counselor or mediator within the society locally or internationally which is built upon high degree of confidentiality and tact, hence one can take a position of a “Counselor or Mediator”.
- 9. The profession of “Human Resource Specialist” requires highly skilled person on ethical, administrative and resource management, hence philosophy provide this ground towards the understanding of justice and fairness in the society or community.
- 10. Society, companies, institutions and government parastatal requires personnel specialized in understand legal system, policy analysis and making recommendation, this can be done with the personal specialized on philosophy with ethics as a “Legal Advisor”.
- 11. Philosophy with Ethics prepares one to become an “Entrepreneur Specialist or Analysts” or “Marketing Professional” for different institutions, companies, and Non-Governmental Organisation who understand the philosophies of the aforementioned areas and linking with the concept of business ethics.
- 12. Philosophy with Ethics prepares one to understand the humanitarian needs, applicability of medical ethics and recommendable medical caring and services provided by a particular centre or institution as well as private people involving in offering medical and selling drugs, hence one can work at the position of “Health Service Manager” or “Health Care Professional”.
- 13. Philosophy with Ethics provides one with skills for communicating with others, creating arguments and unrevealing the argument of others which are the basis needed in government and private sectors in analyzing and solving problems that affect masses of people, hence it helps one to develop a career of “Public Policy Professional” or “Public Policy Specialist”.
- 14. Philosophy with Ethics prepares an individual to have extensive analytical skills which are very beneficial and valuable in finance and economic analysis, hence these personnel working in conjunction with some specialized in finance and economic management, they can build a synthetic analysis towards the future of an institution or organization, by taking a position of “Financial Service Professional” or “Financial Service Analyst”.
- 15. Philosophy with Ethics prepares a conducive professional networking between lawyers and a personal specialized on philosophy with ethics who provides supportive services to clients prior to referring them to their organization or institutional lawyers, hence prepares one to work at the position of a “Paralegal”.
- 16. Philosophy with Ethics provide a guide for one to understanding logical procedures, operative nature of the law, the necessity on enforcement of law and obedience to the law, hence one can take a position or a career as a “Public Offense Investigator”, “PCCB Personnel”, or “National Internal Security Officer”.
- 17. Companies, institution and government bodies hire research consultants to perform specific research which is related to their demands and analyzing those findings. Their job is to find solutions to a company, institution or government board or client’s questions or problems. Hence the study of Philosophy with Ethics provides one with ability to analyze data in easy-to-understand, hence this gives one a position of “Research Consultant”.
- 18. Communication is one of the vital aspects in existential life, analysing news outlets, research companies, factories, institutions, industry publications, government sector, private sector, individuals, society, and communities in order to gather information. This requires strong writing, communication and analytical skills to be able to convey details in a proper way with credibility, honest and transparency, this is achieved with a foundation in Philosophy with Ethics, hence gives one a career position of a “Journalist”.
- 19. The language and analytical skills that philosophy with Ethics offers are essential tools for work in different kind of public relation fields. This allows one to have ability to convey complex ideas to the targeted audience and to handle questions as well. An ability to articulate your institution’s work and develop consistent polices on controversial issues give one a credit towards a career as a “Public Relation Officer”.
- 20. Philosophy with Ethics provides one with skills, basic foundation of government pillars operation, overview of leadership system and its operation, hence build one towards the ability to understand the day-to-day function of the government, hence provided one with a career on “Local Government Officer”.
- 21. Philosophy with Ethics provide one with a broader view on the understanding of individual and public relation as the keystone towards co-existence of human person within the society, community, one’s government and another government, one country and other countries, hence it forms one towards the responsibility of an “Arbitrator”.
FEE STRUCTURE FOR BACHELOR OF PHILISOPHY WITH ETHICS
FEE STRUCTURE FOR BACHELOR OF PHILISOPHY WITH ETHICS
FEE STRUCTURE FOR BACHELOR OF PHILISOPHY WITH ETHICS
All tuition fees, administrative, and NACTE/TCU Quality Assurance fees should be addressed to:
MWENGE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY: A/C No. 017103005324 NBC LTD
MWENGE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY: A/C No.01J1039285600 CRDB BANK PLC
MWENGE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY: A/C No.0776151518 EXIM BANK (TANZANIA) LTD
Money for Students Government should be paid at Exim Bank
MWENGE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY (MWECAU) Student Fund:
A/C No: 0240002038
• Administrative fee, NACTE Quality Assurance fee, Students’ Government fee should be paid full at the beginning of the academic year.
• Tuition fee can be paid fully at the beginning of each academic year or in two installments at the beginning of each semester.
• Tuition fee is non-refundable.
• All Fees must be paid before registration for the semester.
• The original copy of the bank deposit slip should be submitted immediately to the Finance office clearly indicating the name of the student, programme and year of study. Late submission will attract penalty.
• Students are advice to follow the payment instructions strictly. Any money deposited in a wrong account should be considered unpaid.
• Don’t do any transaction via M-Pesa, Tigo Pesa, Artel Money or any other form of transaction than University bank accounts indicated in the fee structure
The Head of Department of Social Sciences and Humanities
Mwenge Catholic University
P.O Box 1226